//some 3rd party need geo

Dell 720 printer - easy to refill?

bri-an 09:02 17 Oct 05

Seeing the prices of compatible carts for this £10 printer (£25 for the set!!), I must either refill or throw out the printer.
Is refilling straightforward, and do you need any 'special' kit, I already have inks, syringe, etc.
Any help/advice appreciated.

pj123 12:38 17 Oct 05

It is fairly straightforward but very, very messy.

I found it best to do the refill outside and on lots of newspaper. (wear disposable gloves).

Most of the refill kits I bought came with detailed instructions on how to do it.

I stopped refilling years ago. Now have only Epson printers, compatibile cartridges "cheap as chips".

I believe the Dell 720 is a rebadged Lexmark Z23 but with modified cartridges (the Lexmark ones don't fit), and it has always been cheaper to buy a new printer rather than replacement ink. (The ink is where their profit comes from).

bri-an 08:23 18 Oct 05

Thanks, pj123, I will give the refill a go i think - i have some refill ink, syringes etc so nothing to lose I suppose, as I'll bin it if it doesn't work - just wondered if anyone else had tried it?
Cheers.

jack 08:34 18 Oct 05

Just use the Lexmark compatable ink.
It is always worth a playaround - you cant break a thing worse.

wobbly76 10:28 18 Oct 05

Could I just say this, I've just started refilling my carts. it's a piece of cake, I make no mess whatsoever, and I'm 77 and only have one eye. Give it a go!!

w76

bri-an 15:35 18 Oct 05

wobbly76,
Yes I've been doing the refills for years, but wondered specifically, if the Dell720 had any 'difficulties', before I got into it!! (like you I'm well past retirement)

jack,
Yes I do have Lexmark compatible ink and syringes already - so will give it a go

duce 11:59 22 Oct 05

dell 720printer uses the same cartridge as a lexmark z34, and it's cheaper too

Totally-braindead 12:06 22 Oct 05

Like pj123 I use an Epson and would agree that the compatibles are cheap, always use Choice Stationery for them. I'd be wary of buying the z34 cartridges that duce says are the same because from what I have seen on the subject the Dell printers use slightly modified cartridges which means the Lexmark ones may not fit, I could be wrong on this but this is what I have read. Regarding refilling I've no idea if it would work or not but its only going to cost you a bit of ink to try and as you already have the ink theres no reason not to give it a go.

Wak 14:14 22 Oct 05

I have been re-filling cartridges for over five years now so must have saved hundreds of Pounds when you consider the cost of new ones.
This web site can be very helpful.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…