Dell 5150 No recovery disc available?????

compumac 19:02 18 Jul 10

I have a Dell 5150 with Media Center Edition XP SP3 installed. It needs reformatting and reinstalling. Unforunately it would appear that recovery discs were not made and the only discs available to me are XP Home with SP3. Can I use this dsic to install to the Dell 5150?

rawprawn 19:13 18 Jul 10

simple answer is yes, it will install whatever is on that disk

compumac 19:20 18 Jul 10

rawprawn.
But the Product key for the installed system is for Media Center Edition. Can you use that same number to activate XP Home on that PC?

rawprawn 19:29 18 Jul 10

Not if it's a different operating system,is the disk the one spplied by Dell when you bought the machine?

compumac 19:33 18 Jul 10

rawprawn
The XP Home+SP3 disc that I have is one I created some time ago before this Dell came into my view. There are no discs avai;able to me that are applicable to the Dell.

rawprawn 19:56 18 Jul 10

Then unless you have an activation code you cannot use it,
I suggest you get in touch with Dell, and see if they will supply you with a replacement disk for the one they installed. I am sure they will charge for it though.

rawprawn 19:58 18 Jul 10

Just a thoght, have you checked to see if there is a recovery partition installed on your HDD.
Check your instruction manual.

robin_x 22:52 18 Jul 10

Google "how to make xp disc"

You need a licence code for you. See your label.

lotvic 23:51 18 Jul 10

Unless you have at some time wiped the restore partition:

Dell Dimension 5150 manual click here
Owners manual > Troubleshooting Tools > Restoring your Operating System > Using Dell PC Restore by Symantic (page 55)
To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with click here appears at the top of the screen.
2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the
computer again.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.
3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
4 On the next screen, click Confirm.
The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.
5 When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer

*Note: you will not need the product key as it will be pre-activated as per when you first got it - factory fresh

If that works then get yourself a copy of Acronis True Image or similar and make a back up image on a separate ext HDD in case of a future HDD failure.

compumac 08:24 19 Jul 10

lotvic
Already have Acronis with images for the Dell 5150 going back to January 2010.
I had printed out the User Manual and had read that part but it would be so much easier and quicker to have a curent CD XP+SP3 to hand. At this time I have unfortunately taken on someone elses PC that has a problem and the Dell will have to wait. Thanks for input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced