Deleting Windows Directory

Andy1991 14:47 09 Jul 07

Today after quite a while of never logging in to my account, i saw that my recycle bin was indicating that there was rubish in there, so, I opening it to investigate what was in there and it appeared nothing was, and the status bar shows "0 items". Though, when i click the "Empty the recycle bin" button to like reset it, it asks the following question:

"Are you sure you want to delete 'WINDOWS'?"
I select No, as I was to cautious to say Yes. The Windows Directory on the System Drive is still there, and I don't remember ever deleting a file of folder called "Windows". I tried Restore but it just makes a sound to say that it can't do it.

Can anyone think of what to do?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007, No Windows Disc available only rescue Partition, Recovery Console available though.

Technotiger 14:51 09 Jul 07

Download and run CCleaner click here this may clear it.

Andy1991 14:53 09 Jul 07

I have that, but the thing is all that does is clear as I would, and I do not wish to delete anything I did not authorize!

Technotiger 15:04 09 Jul 07

I am pretty sure it would not delete anything that was essential to your pc. It is not like you deleting stuff yourself. Though I would understand if you prefer to wait until someone else may support or say otherwise.

Technotiger 15:07 09 Jul 07

PS - bear in mind of course, that the full Windows folder is probably too big to go into the Recycle bin anyway.

Andy1991 15:11 09 Jul 07

Yeah, I can do allot, but whem something like this seems as direct to destroy your Windows installation with out knowing what to do, then i become cautious in making sure it does not do anything that don't want it to do in which may just tip it off the edge if you now what i mean, its complicated. Thanks for the help though Is there any way i can reset the recycle bin with it deleting anything, so it goes back to correctly thinking there is nothing in there?

Andy1991 15:11 09 Jul 07

Ah, i never thought of that.

Andy1991 15:14 09 Jul 07

I just had a look, its big enough!

Andy1991 15:15 09 Jul 07

recycle bin reserved for C: 3.99GB
Windows Directory size: 3.90GB

woodchip 15:49 09 Jul 07

Try this it may work. Right click on desktop\properties\Effects click on the bin the default.

Or go to Start\Run type MSCONFIG press enter then go to startup tab check for items that look like it may be linked to the Bin and windows remove the tick and restart comp

woodchip 15:51 09 Jul 07

One more thing you Could Try is Download Tweak UI then run repair System files, Or run System Restore to a earlier time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac