deleting windows

picklsey 13:41 22 Apr 05

xp home sp2.

i built a new pc i put my hard/drive from my old pc into a usb external,s a 250g/b western/dig.i kept all the data on it till i could transfer things that i wanted to keep on to the new sata h/d.(no problems upto now)my external is partitioned but i can,t delete the windows folder,has anyone any ideas on how i could delete,s not a major problem as with the amount of storage i have i won,t miss the half a gig it,s using up.just like to know if it can be done.the windows folder on it is from my old pc.thanks.

Yoda Knight 13:52 22 Apr 05

Fdisk (type it into a Dos box)will remove the partition, and everything on it. You then create a new blank partition. Be sure to select the correct drive !

picklsey 14:02 22 Apr 05

Yoda Knight

thanks for replying i hav,nt got a clue how to go about this,also although i can move the things i have on this part of partition over to the other partition would doing as you suggest wipe the whole h/d as i have a lot of stuff on the other partition that i don,t want to touch.thanks again for your help on this.

Yoda Knight 14:07 22 Apr 05

Fdisk allows you to remove individual partitions - but probably better if you dont go that route.

Try using the deltree command in dos (I'm not sure if winXp supports this command anymore) or else download an alternative file manager and delete it using that, File Commander or something similar. click here for a list of possibles

picklsey 14:16 22 Apr 05

thanks again i will give your suggestions a try.thankyou.

woodchip 14:25 22 Apr 05

Just right click the drive you want to clear and choose from list FORMAT

picklsey 14:29 22 Apr 05

tried that won,t let me,thanks for suggestion though.

Yoda Knight 14:35 22 Apr 05

If it wont let you format it, it sounds like it is the current operating system ???

picklsey 14:40 22 Apr 05

no deffinetly not the current o/s as i only switch it on when i need it.thanks for the thought though.

Yoda Knight 14:42 22 Apr 05

Have you tried the alternate file manager yet ? If that doesnt work we can go back to the partitions...

picklsey 14:54 22 Apr 05

Yoda Knight

been looking at what you suggest(File Commander)i am obviously missing something as when i done a search it was wanting me to pay.i am okay at putting a pc together but when it comes to things like this i freely admit to being a total dummy,if a programe can,t do it i usually back away from it.i really appreiciate your help on this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…