Deleting virus's with System Restore.

t.long 10:51 07 May 04

Sorry because I imagine this has been asked a thousand times, but I have a virus, its not doing any harm, but because of System Restore I can not get rid of it. How do I go about deleting it properly. OS is Windows XP Pro.

expertec 10:58 07 May 04

Turn off system restore and do virus scan again

Right click on My Computer, click the System Restore tab at the top, tick "Turn off system restore on all drives" you may have to reboot after that, then do a virus scan, that should clear it ;-)

hugeb 11:02 07 May 04

Doesn't turning off system restore delete all your restore points?

colberly 11:31 07 May 04

Yes it does, but isn't this better than having a virus sitting on your PC?

johnnyrocker 11:33 07 May 04

yes it does but even more concerning someone posted yesterday (rightly or wrongly) that it also removes all updates? clarification please.

johnny.

Chronos 12:00 07 May 04

yes it does, but using system restore will also get rid of the virus, if you go back far enough.

colberly 13:05 07 May 04

Surely by just turning off system restore and then reactivating after doing a virus scan you cannot lose previous updates. I have done it several times without loss of data. You only lose the restore points.

expertec 13:44 07 May 04

I think colberly's right on this one...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…