Deleting an Unwanted Partition

wetterfugal™ 15:05 23 Mar 03

I have one 60GB HD with four partitions 14GB, 15MB [a mistake], 14 GB and 16 GB all but the 14 MB partition has insufficient space to suit the XP restore point requirements on drive D: I have disabled restore on the 15MB part'n which has had no effect. To solve this problem I am going to delete the redundant 15MB partition.

If you click here you will see my post concerning the problem in detail. There has been no solutions offered and on reading MS Knowledge base 301224 I think that the 14MB part'n is the problem. click here;EN-US;301224

MORE INFORMATION
System Restore uses the FIFO process on restore points consistently across drives and always purges full restore points. System Restore keeps restore point information on all drives. So when one drive causes System Restore to use the FIFO process on restore points because of low disk space, the restore point information is purged on all drives.

For additional information please see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
299904 System Restore Suspended on System Drive Although Enough Disk Space
300044 System Restore and Hard Disk Space
301224 MS Knowledge Base Article
I still think that the knowledge base is trying to tell me that if you have a partition with insufficient space none of the restore points will work.

Would you think that I should use FDISK or Partition Magic. I have PM 5 on a cover disk but have never used it is itsimple to delete a partition. There is no data on it.

powerless 15:32 23 Mar 03

So you just want to delete it?

Go to Satrt > Run > Copy and paste:

compmgmt.msc

Click "ok"

Then on (the left) click on "Disc Managment".

Then find the 15MB partition > Right Click > Delete. However this partition will then become FREE SPACE as its only 15MB i would leave it.

FDISK?

Pop the boot floppy in the drive and restart. Give it a few miniutes and at the prompt Type:

FDSIK

Click "ok"...

Then to delete any partition press 3.

You have to choose which type of partition to delete. Choose carefully or else you could delete the operating system. Identify the correct partition by its size 15MB.

If you want after you have typed FDISK and pressed enter you can press 4. This will show you your partitions find the 15MB one and then you know which to delete.

You can also delete the partition by the XP CD. Pop the CD in the drive and let the computer boot from the CD. You can delete it from there.

If you've never touched FDISK use the XP CD to delete the partiton.

powerless 15:33 23 Mar 03

...at the prompt Type:

FDISK

wetterfugal™ 15:42 23 Mar 03

I used your first suggesting, I like cut n paste. After a couple of warnings I selected force deletion (There are only two files that XP put there) it's gone now and nothing has happend, (yet) Thanks for help Vic A.

powerless 15:48 23 Mar 03

So the partition has gone?

powerless 15:48 23 Mar 03

Ticked, so yes.

wetterfugal™ 15:47 27 Mar 03

Thanks again for your tips, I can now create Restore Points.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…