Deleting Temporary Files

goll_y 01:04 06 Jun 03

A really simple question I'm sure but how do you delete temporary files? Windows 2000 Prof.

hugh-265156 01:08 06 Jun 03

my computer/right click the hard drive/properties and click clean up

or right click the start button/explore all users/click the hard disc/windows/temp and delete all

AndySD 01:17 06 Jun 03

Temp Internet files..... Go Start then Settings then Control Panel choose Internet Options....

hugh-265156 01:18 06 Jun 03

and that too :-)

keith-236785 01:21 06 Jun 03

right click IE icon (blue E) choose internet properties, on the screen that opens click delete files(in temporary internet files section)

you can also click delete cookies but things like the log on for this site will have to be keyed back in next time you visit(user name & password)

you can also clear the history too.

have a look but if you arent sure about the cookies, dont delete them.

good luck

Uncle Den 13:58 06 Jun 03

If you want to know all your tempory files us "Search" for all files *.tmp

This way finds all those that the other suggestions may fail to reach!

Wait until Search has finished before you decide which ones listed to delete - or if to select and delete whole block of files.

I'm not yet sure, if you delete them all, whether or not you'll be throwing out babies with the bathwater...? You'd better check this before you go flying off at a tangent!

Uncle Den 17:19 14 Jul 03

Data about sites you have visited is stored in many locations - the registry holds some of it (especially in a MRU list called "Typed URLs") but the biggest treasure-trove is in the index.dat files (just search Google for "IE index.dat" or even just "index.dat" and I'm sure you'll be able to find tons of information). Basically, they aren't cleaned even if you use Internet Explorer's built-in Temporary Internet File and History cleaning functions, and they will contain information on visited sites.

MRU-Blaster (click here) can clean tens of thousands of MRU lists (which store such information on your computer), helping to protect your privacy. It can also delete those pesky index.dat files (which are locked during normal Windows use) using a secure deletion method.

There are also many other non-text files that contain MRU's which, even if deleted, can still be recoverd from your hard-drive by experts.

Why PC manufacturers need to include all these MRU history files is a mystery!

I hope this helps.

hoverman 17:40 14 Jul 03

.....or there is Supercleaner click here

Valvegrid 17:53 14 Jul 03

This will let you view and delete the info stored in index.dat, even on Win 2Kprof, I've tried it, you have to ask it to search the whole drive though.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…