Deleting temporary files...

EMM61 17:39 08 Apr 05

Hello Friends, my question is very simple, when I delete my temporary files (*.tmp) (c:temp) or (c:\Win\ temp) do I have to delete the hidden files as well ? System win XP SP1 Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 08 Apr 05

Files are usully hidden to stop you deleteing them by mistake. If you are unsure what can safely be deleted then use this

Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here

Will find and delete all temporay file clear your internet history and trackes and is perfectly safe.

Delete anything it finds to keep your system clutter free.

Dorsai 18:31 08 Apr 05

Generally speaking a temp file was, at the time it was created, intended to be just that. Temporary.

If an app, or windows, crashes, it can leave the temp file behind. Had the program exited normally it would have cleaned up after it's self, and removed the temp files it created.

Generally speaking temp files can be deleted with no problems. If the program that created the file is still running you normally get a message 'XYZ.TMP could not be deleted as it is in use' or words to the effect of.

The same is true of files in folders called 'temp', as a temp folder is a place to put temporary files. Leave the temp folder, but delete everyting in it.

There are apps, as fruit bat says, that can do the job for you. I just do it myself. Close all open progs, and delete all temp files. Not had a problem yet. As the temp files go into the recycle bin first, you can always recover one if the need arises.

Buchan 35 20:34 08 Apr 05

If you use cCleaner, and there`s no reason not to,
If you are worried about anything in your recycle bin then untick Empty Recycle Bin before running it.

jbp1982 21:16 08 Apr 05

I run ccleaner (free), regseeker (free) and webroot windows washer (has a 30day trial). They do all the house keeping for me. All are really easy to use and safe.

If a file is hidden it's like that for a reason.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac