Deleting 'Temp' files- advice please.

bri-an 19:37 06 Apr 05

As someone still learning about what's in my computer could I ask for guidance.
If I go Cdrive/Docs&Settings/myname/local settings - I find files called 'Temp Internet Files', 'History, 'Application Data' and 'Temp'.

I know I can delete Temp Int Files, and History if I wish, but what about file called Temp ? It says there are 1300 items in it, about 250mb. I have clicked on a couple of random ones and they seemed to be about stuff I did long ago and did not even realise was still there!
Would it be OK to delete everything in this folder? My reasoning suggests that if something is called 'Temp' then it will be dispensible ?? Or am I too simplistic?

Hope this is not a stupid question.

Terry Brown 19:43 06 Apr 05

Try going to start, accessories,system tools, disk cleanup.This should fix the problem

Curio 19:51 06 Apr 05

It is perfectly safe to delete .tmp files. However, you should not delete those of the same date that deletion is being done. They may be in use.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:57 06 Apr 05

Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here

Its safe to delete anything it finds.

Will clear internet tracking history and all temp files. Scan for issues to clean the registry aswell.

Ideal for clearing out all the jnk at getting your PC to run faster.

AubreyS 20:01 06 Apr 05

I empty that folder once a month. Any files that are being used will not be able to be deleted. But as the others say, proceed with caution.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:50 06 Apr 05

Use Ccleaner, it is fast and excellent. It can be used safely and is free.

G

jimmer409® 20:55 06 Apr 05

go start, search, enter *.tmp, c drive, delete all prior to the todays date

bri-an 21:07 06 Apr 05

Thanks for all the help, folks. Great help.
Will proceed with caution!
Cheers

Jak_1 21:31 06 Apr 05

temp files are just what they say they are, tempory files. I delete and be damned daily. It does not take long for temp internet files to buildup and I clear them every few hours whilst on the net. Windows temp files, if they are being used will not let you delete them. Unless I know a specific program is using one then I get suspicious if I can't felete one because it's being used. That usually means a trojan is at work!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…