Deleting a restore point (Win XP)

y_not 16:06 10 Feb 04

I recently installed WinXP on my son's PC and didn't install AV for about three weeks.

I have now installed AVG and it found 10 virii. Two were healed and 8 sent to the quarantine bin (I have since deleted them).

When the system boots up now it says that its found a virus in the restore file - does anyone have any suggestions, please?

I know I should have installed the AV earlier but he's a 10 year old and downloads car pictures ... looking at the sites he visits (I do keep a check) I don't know where the virii came from.

Maybe a lesson for others?

Jester2K 16:10 10 Feb 04
  Mike ® 16:12 10 Feb 04

You will have to delete all restore points and start again. Right click on "MY Computer" and goto System Restore tab, turn it off and then on again. Then re-scan with Avg.

Mike ® 16:13 10 Feb 04

Should read goto properties then as above.

y_not 16:14 10 Feb 04

Many thanks - off to sort it now.

Will post as resolved after I finish with it.

Thanks again

Tony

fstime 16:33 10 Feb 04

They are in fact quarantined in that particular restore point folder. Simply leave them where that are and don't use that restore point

ventanas 16:39 10 Feb 04

Nope, you must turn off System Restore to remove the restore points and rescan, or you will be reinfected.

y_not 19:49 10 Feb 04

Many thanks to all.

As advised I switched off system restore, which deleted the restore points, re-booted and switched back on.

I switched system restore back on and created a new restore point.

Now everythings working fine.

Many thanks again and - for the future - I will install AV as soon as I have installed the OS (not wait three weeks again!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…