Deleting Registry Entries

Eileanbeag 15:53 30 Nov 03

I have had problems with Norton Internet Security 2004 on Windows 98SE. I was also running Norton Utilities 2000 and they did not seem to run together. I tried to uninstall NU and something wentg wrong. I then installed Norton Internet Security and all went well untill it came to update through Live Update. From help files it appears I must back up Regerter and elete some Entries. Is there a danger on not getting Windows to load after that if I get it wrong?

Diodorus Siculus 16:16 30 Nov 03

Changing things in the registry is a perilous process unless you are sure of what you are doing. As you have win98, you should be ok though as you can easily restore a registry that is damamged.

My suggestion is that you uninstall all Norton stuff, then open regedit and delete any references in it.

Get a registry cleaner, such as the one from MS or click here and try to clean the registry that way first.

Diodorus Siculus 16:18 30 Nov 03

click here for the reg cleaner I meant to suggest.

Bald Eagle 19:43 30 Nov 03

Dio,
Got the cleaner and it does work a treat. However, it says I have about 900 duplicated files. I cannot find a way to highlight them all to delete them. At 10 at a time it will take me forever. Any suggestions?

JIM 19:51 30 Nov 03

Caution duplicate files. Not all (and possibly not most) of the files that are found are candidates for removal. Be sure to carefully scrutinize each set of duplicate files before making the decision to remove any of them. It is always recommended that you have a current backup of your system before performing any intensive operations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…