DELETING READ-ONLY FILES IN XP

Radiofan 13:33 29 May 04

When I acquired my new computer, I moved from Win 98 to XP. I have a couple of CDs with pictures downloaded from the internet, some of which I wish to delete as they are .art; I have changed these to .jpg but I find I cannot remove the original .art files from the CD. If I try, I get a message saying they cannot be deleted as they are read only. I have gone into Properties and tried to change them from read only but I am denied access when I try to do this. Any ideas? Needless to say, the help facility has nothing at all about read-only files - black mark, Microsoft.

penny 13:43 29 May 04

me thinks you're having a laugh!

TomJerry 13:45 29 May 04

ROM = Read Only Memory (media)

AndySD 13:51 29 May 04

You will need to copy the whole cd into a folder on the pc then remove the files you want to get rid of then burn the ones left onto a new cd.

Radiofan 19:10 29 May 04

No of course I wasn't kidding. I'm not an expert and this left me completely baffled. Really, if people can only be sarcastic then perhaps they should refrain from any comments. Andy's suggestion came by the time I had worked his solution out for myself so thanks to him anyway for a sensible and helpful reply.

Graham ® 19:17 29 May 04

Are these re-writeable CDs? If so (a similar question yesterday), it is because Windows doesn't know how to delete them. You have to use the recording program to erase the tracks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…