deleting .raw files

Eileanbeag 11:47 12 Jul 06

A friend is running Windows ME and is trying to free up some space. He uses his computer a lot for photography and has written these files to disc to give more space. He has come across a file called "Restore" which has 3 gigs of files with the extension .raw and has tried to delete this file but cannot do so. Is there a way for him to access this space or is this file necessary? Any help would be appreciated.

Marsh Warden © ™ 12:43 12 Jul 06

I would imagine this is the hidden restore partition, which ebables the PC to be set back to the original factory shipped settings in case of a malfunction. I would leave it alone if I were him.

ventanas 12:48 12 Jul 06

Yep, as well as being the extension for unprocessed image files, raw is also used for ISO images click here

As Marsh Warden says, best left alone.

fazer 12:51 12 Jul 06

The file-type .raw are photographs in "RAW" format (your friend will know what these are)and there are usually big files because they are uncompressed.

If they are a back-up to what your friend has stored elsewhere, then they should be safe to delete. However, he should delete the contents of the file (the .raw files) as opposed to the folder itself.

Eileanbeag 15:31 12 Jul 06

Thanks - so if the file contents are deleted and the machine is returned to factory settings will other other data be lost - as my friend's alternative is to format and he would be quite happy with this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…