deleting programs

carnoustiejim 00:10 02 Feb 10

hi im trying to clean up my pc by uninstalling programs and transfering some to another drive
when i try to delete some to bin message access is denied
also can i uninstall movie maker, messenger,microsoft front page,ms build,msn, msn gaming zone, windows nt, and xerox.
ive never had to open them and it would clear more space if alright to remove
thanks for any advice kirriejim
o/s wxp home

GaT7 00:30 02 Feb 10

Yes, no problem uninstalling the items you don't need via 'Add or Remove Programs', but don't delete any of those folders. They take up very little space anyway.

There are other ways you can clean up that will free up much more space - one is using Disk Cleanup. You can delete all the System Restore (SR) points on the Advanced tab, just keeping the latest. Instructions at click here.

Another way is by deleting all the Windows update uninstall files e.g. $NtUninstallKB972270$ (if your PC is working OK). But leave the $hf_mig$ folder. You may need to change Folder Options settings to 'Show hidden files and folders' in order to view & delete these files.

What security programs do you have installed? Do you have AVG anti-virus? G

GaT7 00:45 02 Feb 10

You can also delete the contents of the C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder.

When I checked a few weeks ago I had ~900Mb accumulated there. G

carnoustiejim 10:33 02 Feb 10

thanks crossbow shall have a go later tonight just noticed in my add/remove i have microsoft network frame 2.0 service pack 2 and 3.0 service pack 2 also microsoft network frame 3.5 3.51 do i need them all thanks kirriejim

carnoustiejim 10:40 02 Feb 10

sorry forgot to say im using symantic endpoint protection kirriejim

Sea Urchin 10:56 02 Feb 10

.NET Framework - do I need them all?

Yes, you do. Different programs rely on different versions.

carnoustiejim 19:27 02 Feb 10

thanks sea urchin

carnoustiejim 12:27 03 Feb 10

hi crossbow just looking at all windows update files from KB898461 thro to KB976098 just to clarify do i delete them all sorry to bother you as im not sure thanks again kirriejim

GaT7 14:24 03 Feb 10

Yes, anything with $NtUninstallKB......$ in the C:\Windows folder can be deleted. But leave the $hf_mig$ folder as it is.

You can also delete all the text files beginning with KB in the C:\Windows folder. G

carnoustiejim 12:28 14 Feb 10

sorry forgot to say thanks to all kirriejim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…