Deleting print jobs in XP

trevpearson 11:26 15 Jul 05

When I attempt to cancel a print job in XP, it can take anything up to an hour for the job to be deleted.

I've rebooted anumber of times but still the printer icon appears and shows that the selected print job is "deleting".

Any idea's on how to speed up the deletion of cancelled print runs?

Graham ® 11:55 15 Jul 05

Could be an error in the printer software. Can you re-install?

trevpearson 13:51 15 Jul 05

I've re-installed the drivers. The printer works fine, it's just when I make a boo-boo and have to cancel the print job. XP takes ages to delete the print queue.

Graham ® 16:14 15 Jul 05

Could be something to do with spooling. The print job is saved to the hard drive, so it's a case of deleting it from there.

Can you narrow the problem down to a particular program?

click here for a guide to printing.

trevpearson 21:57 15 Jul 05

Thanks for the suggestions folks, have already tried them, no joy. To come clean (slightly) I'm a printer engineer. My PC has 221 printer drivers in the Printer folder at the moment. (yes I do service a lot of different printers).

But this problem is causing me major grief.

I know the answer (maybe) would be to have perhaps, 2 or 3 drivers only, but to download and install a driver then delete it afterwards is a bigger grief maker. Some of these drivers are 60mb+ downloads.

Oh, I didn't have these problems in Win98, only XP

Back to you, the guru's.

Ancient Learner 22:06 15 Jul 05

221 printer drivers. Flipping Heck! I can have enough problems with just one. When I get your effect, I get mad and reboot, and that never fails! Mind you, that was much worse when I had a HP printer, my Epson does not seem to have the same stubborn streak.

Probably no help whatsoever!

Graham ® 08:24 16 Jul 05

Might be worth trying this Driver program to see if it will enable you to delete all, or most, of the drivers, then re-install one as needed
click here

There may be more suitable programs that will allow you to save all the drivers to a CD. There was a facility on drivers.com, but you have to pay to join now.

Terry Brown 12:53 16 Jul 05

If you open the printer box,(load in a test print)go to properties and change the priorities to a number above 0, this wil enable the computer to respond to your printer interupt faster, as value 0 means when everything else is done and I cannot find anything else to do then look at other things.Hope this helps
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…