Deleting a Partition

Spanish Johnny 16:30 21 Oct 03

I've just installed a Hard drive from my old Pc which was partitioned (60Gb split 40/20) I wanted the drive back to it's original state so I used Disk Manager in Windows and deleted the smaller partition, but now it just shows the deleted partition as "Un-allocated space".
How can I get the full 60Gb back?
I'm using Win. XP Home.
Cheers

Epoc 16:37 21 Oct 03

As far as I know you either have to format the harddisk and then use fdisk, or buy partitioning software such as Partion Magic.

temp003 16:40 21 Oct 03

What's happened is normal. The deleted partition becomes unallocated space, which is available for creating new partitions.

What you want to achieve is resize an existing partition (make it bigger in your case). XP's Disk Management does not have that function.

You will need third party software such as Partition Magic, or for freeware try Ranish Partition Manager.

Spanish Johnny 16:50 21 Oct 03

Thanks guys, one question though, will extending the partition remove data from it? I have started to use the 40Gb space to store some files.

Cheers

mark e 16:54 21 Oct 03

Partition Magic will do the job witout loss of data I di't know about the other suggested program

Legolas 16:55 21 Oct 03

I don't know about using rannish but if you use Partition Magic you can resize your partitions without losing any data.

Spanish Johnny 17:05 21 Oct 03

Thanks for you're help fellas, think I'll go with Partition Magic

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…