Deleting or amending "read only files"

Daisy22 19:11 22 Nov 05

Is there a way to delete or amend read only files in windows XP? If so, can I have easy step by step instructions please. The file I want to delete is on a DVD RW, it's saying it's read only and won't let me erase it.

csqwared 19:23 22 Nov 05

Don't know if this applies to XP but usually if you right click on a file a properties window appears. Unclick 'read only' and you should be able to delete etc.

cc

PaulB2005 19:25 22 Nov 05

csqwared - not if it's on a DVDRW.

DVDRWs can't be treated like a hard drive. You'd either have to format the disk or open the disk in your DVD burning software and delete the file there.

All files on CD and DVD (R and RW) are read only.

csqwared 19:31 22 Nov 05

Missed the reference to DVD RW, however I thought the who;e point behind RW stuff was that you could write/delete at will. I've just tried the above method with a CD/RW, right click and a properties window opens. If I then mark a file as 'read only' it won't delete, if I uncheck it, it will??

cc

GaT7 19:36 22 Nov 05

CD/DVD RWs if formatted first (with InCD or DirectCD) can be used like a hard drive/floppy, & files/folders can be freely added/deleted upto the formatted disks' capacity. The only trouble with this 'packet writing' is that data storage can be unreliable at times, but creating multisession disks (click here) are much better (if not as quick). G

PaulB2005 19:36 22 Nov 05

Not that i'm aware of. Are you using Packet Writing software such as InCD?

PaulB2005 19:44 22 Nov 05

Packet Writing software might allow you to do this, but Daisy22 said "in Windows XP".

Daisy22 if you have InCD or another Packet Writing software then it might be possible, but not directly in Windows.

ade.h 20:53 22 Nov 05

WinXP's own burning utility packet writes but single deletes. So to wipe part of a CD-RW or DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, etc. you need to copy (as opposed to move) the files that you want to keep, then erase the disc.

ade.h 20:54 22 Nov 05

Any file or folder that is written to CDFS becomes read-only until it is copied back into an OS enviroment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…