Deleting an operating system

CurlyWhirly 18:38 27 Jun 04

Hi,
I know a friend who has a dual-boot set-up of Windows XP and Windows ME but what has happened is that the old operating system (Windows ME)is assigned C: (and therefore XP is D:) and as he wants to get rid of it so that he can use it for backup purposes he is unable to delete the Windows ME entry in the 'boot.ini file' because Windows doesn't allow this as normally C: is the default operating system.
Does anyone know how to change hard drive letter assignments? i.e. if Windows XP could be renamed as the default C: drive then the Windows ME entry could be deleted from the boot.ini file!
Sorry this is a bit long winded!

woodchip 18:47 27 Jun 04

Is best bet is to save all the files he wants. then format C:\ and D:\ and reinstall XP on to C:\

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 27 Jun 04

click here Partion magic

Irishman 19:22 27 Jun 04

Boot from XP and then click here;EN-US;q307844

Irishman 19:25 27 Jun 04
  CurlyWhirly 21:01 27 Jun 04

Thanks for all your advice!
What my friend did was install XP when ME was already the default operating system hence this problem!
I don't know if he has managed to sort out the problem yet but let's hope so!
By the way he doesn't want to reinstall Windows because he would have to reinstall all his drivers, antivirus definitions, etc,and he finds it too much hassle!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…