Deleting old update files

HOT BOT 11:02 16 Apr 04

As ad-aware and AVG have loads of updatess daily is there a way to delete old update files which are not needed? Could you please give clear instructions as i am a begginer.

temp003 11:23 16 Apr 04

Don't know about AVG, but for Ad-aware, I think the update replaces the old reference file. Looking in the Ad-aware folder, there's a file called reflist.ref, which is the current file, and there's another called reflist.ref.old - which may be a backup of the last one, but only guessing. I don't think it's necessary to mess about manually deleting anything, at least with Adaware.

MidgetMan 11:23 16 Apr 04

this is being discussed at click here

easy to delete old avg updates, not sure about ad-aware though

Djohn 11:27 16 Apr 04

Click on your "My Computer" Icon then "C" drive/Program files folder/Grifsoft/AVG6/Update folder and delete all the files found inside that folder. j.

MidgetMan 11:33 16 Apr 04

Correct me if i am wrong, delete all the old files, keeping the one with the latest date!, also the ctf file.

Djohn 11:41 16 Apr 04

Yes, In the "Update" Folder you can delete all the files. These have already been installed into the AVG engine and are safe to delete. I do mine each month of late as there are so many up-dates.

You will be fine as long as you don't touch any other files except for the "Up-date" folder.

If you have followed the recent advice on installing the 3 update sites for AVG then you may find 3 "Update" folders. [One for each site.] You can delete all files from each of these 3 "Up-date" folders.

Regards. j.

Djohn 11:45 16 Apr 04

I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question fully! Yes, you leave the "Control file" But remove all "Up-date files". j.

HOT BOT 13:26 16 Apr 04

Thanks everyone, especially Djohn, i have deleted all the files but left the two latest one to be on the safe side, i think a heap of space has been cleared. Thanks again everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…