Deleting the 'old' folder

beauchampboiler 18:53 07 Apr 10

I understand that is an incredibly stupid question but I thought I'd better check with the expects of this forum before I do anything too radical.

Basically, a year ago my XP pc destroyed itself and I had to go the repair shop. Afterwards the entire contents of my old drive C were in a folder called 'old' in the main C directory. A year on, I do not need any of the programs or documents in this file as I reinstalled everything and had my documents recovered separately. As I had lots of spare hd space back then, I just left the 'old' folder where it was. At the moment however, I am doing some spring cleaning and I could really use the 70gb of space the folder takes up. Is it safe to delete, or does the system still rely on some files within? Bear in mind the system was completely reset when I took it to the shop. I know I'm probably being neurotic but I don't want another dead computer.

Thanks.

tullie 18:55 07 Apr 10

If its windows.old,you can delete it.

beauchampboiler 19:04 07 Apr 10

It isn't. There is 'Documents and Settings.old' and 'Program Files.old' but the windows folder does not have this suffix. It's also in lower case, unlike the main windows folder in the main C directory.

beauchampboiler 19:07 07 Apr 10

Just to clarify, I didn't mean 'it's not in disc cleanup'. I meant windows does not have the 'old suffix'.

beauchampboiler 19:08 07 Apr 10

I've noticed that the windows folder is only 1.86gb big so I can probably leave it. So it's safe to delete docs and settings. userdata and program files?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…