deleting office files

gjn2 20:31 27 Dec 05

I want to get rid of a load of old letters, spreadsheets, etc., in the My Docs folder, but the process seems very laborious. First I have to open the file to see what it was about, 2, close it, 3, find it again on the My Docs screen, 4, delete it.

Is there a way of deleting it as soon as I read it & know it can go? I do save everything with a date and couple of codewords, but these are not enough for me to remember what's in every old file.

kro 21:13 27 Dec 05

If you close the window rather than the application it will be much quicker without having to re-open the whole office application, and, once you "open" right clicking on the file allows you to delete, rename etc (at least it does in Office 2003).

VoG II 21:19 27 Dec 05

If you select all of the files of one type that you want to examine, then right click the last one and select Open, they will all open. You can switch between them using the Window menu.

keith-236785 23:06 27 Dec 05

didnt know that one VoG, thanks and noted

gjn2 05:57 01 Jan 06

Thanks, kro & VoG.
VoG's idea was new to me & I have tried it, but having viewed the file, if I want to delete it,I still have to close it & re-find it before I can right click on the title to delete. Ideally, what I need is to right click in the open file to bring down a "delete" option in addition to "fonts","paragraphs", etc. which currently appear.
Still, the VoG idea helps in as much as, having opened the lot, I can write down the names & dates of the files to delete then go back to the My Docs list & by holding down Ctrl delete several at a time.
Thanks again
GJN2

Simsy 09:41 01 Jan 06

that you want to "find it again on the My docs screen"...

If you...

Open "My docs", select "details" from the view menu, and click on the "Type" heading, it will sort all the files by type... i.e. all the Word .docs will appear together, all the .xls will appear together, etc...

If you now open the files by double clicking them here, (rather than from in the Open dialogue of Word/Excel), you can read it, close it and go back to My Docs and the file will be already highlighted, so you can delete easily....

Does that help?

Another, more "off the wall" way...

When you've read the files, if it's one you want to delete, add a unique line of text, such as, "iwantthisfiletobedleted", (note NO SPACES), and resave...

You can then search for files containing that phrase/word, and when the search is complete delete all the found items in one go.

Obviously, for this to work the word/phrase needs to be something that can't possibly appear in anything you don't want to delete, so you can make it obtuse and long! Once made up you can just copy it and it can be easily pasted into docs and the search dialogue.

Regards,

Simsy

gjn2 16:29 03 Jan 06

Thanks, Simsy, I especially like the look of your second idea and I reckon just typing in "qw" is good enough, assuming I have remembered to follow q with u everywhere else.

I have now got so far as having a list of files in the search results box which can be deleted, but I can't see a way of deleting the lot in one go. Could you guide me further please ?

GJN2

Simsy 16:43 03 Jan 06

select the top one in the list, so it's highlighted, then hold down the "SHIFT" key and select the bottom one in the list it should highlight them all...

Another method is to hold down "CTL" and press the "a" key... this will also selct them all...

(If there are any you now wish to excuse from the list hold down "CTL" and click on the item you want to exclude, and it will be unhighlighted... doing the same will rehighlight it)

(The above are all standard windows methods)

Once you have them all selected/highlighted you can either use the red cross on the toolbar at the top, or, Rightclcik and selct "Delete" from the menu that appears.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 16:44 03 Jan 06

select the top one in the list, so it's highlighted, then hold down the "SHIFT" key and select the bottom one in the list it should highlight them all...

Another method is to hold down "CTL" and press the "a" key... this will also selct them all...

(If there are any you now wish to excuse from the list hold down "CTL" and click on the item you want to exclude, and it will be unhighlighted... doing the same will rehighlight it)

(The above are all standard windows methods)

Once you have them all selected/highlighted you can either use the red cross on the toolbar at the top, or, Rightclcik and selct "Delete" from the menu that appears.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

Fellsider 16:55 03 Jan 06

Click on 'Open'
Select 'Views' from the line of icons to the right 'Look in:' and select 'preview'

Now when you highlight a file some of the text will appear in the preview window and should be enough to identify the content

gjn2 19:50 31 Jan 06

Thanks for all the ideas - sorry for the delay, been away. No perfect solution but it's now quicker than it was

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now