Deleting Items In Start-Up List

Daz35 01:07 22 Jun 04

While I was downloading some software the other day, I managed to get a trojan in my system.

I use Norton A/V and got rid of it, then ran the usual suspects Adaware/Spybot etc and everything seemed fine.

I then checked start-up services using msconfig and there were 3 or 4 items I didn't recognise, so I unticked the boxes. (I've used sysinfo to find out what they were but it seems to be permanently busy).

Is there an easy way of deleting these entries or do I have to go into the registry?

I know they can't do anything when the start-up boxes are unchecked, but my program start-up list is getting longer and starting to annoy me.

hugh-265156 01:21 22 Jun 04

before unticking you can look up the start up items click here see 'full list' to find out what they are.

if you really want to delete from the reg then most are found in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run and runonce

click start/run and type regedit click ok.

navigate to the above and right click and delete the entries you want here. be very careful only to delete the entries you are sure are safe to remove and nothing else.

to back up the reg before trying this open regedit and click on 'my computer' to save the entire registry or highlight the entry you are going to remove and click 'file/export' and save the reg to a location of your choice. you can restore this by clicking on the .reg file you created if you need to.

Daz35 01:39 22 Jun 04

The site you suggested is the same as I've been using (sysinfo.com), but always seems to be too busy.

I have used regedit once or twice, but don't really like going there.

Is that the only way?

Further to that, and before I've posted I have had a look where you suggested and can't find any of the items I was looking to delete!

Dan the Confused 01:50 22 Jun 04

There's a great optimizer program called TuneUp Utilities 2004 (I have 2003 version) that has a Startup Manager option that makes what you ask a breeze. It has loads of other options and is 7.7mb so may not be quite what you're looking for but it is a 30 day free trial so might be worth a look. click here

hugh-265156 01:57 22 Jun 04

sysinfo?

the link i gave was for pacmans portal Daz35.

ww w. /pacs-portal.co.uk /startup_index.htm (without the spaces)

hugh-265156 02:01 22 Jun 04

my apologies Daz35 the pacmans portal site seems to have changed a bit since i last visted it. you are correct about the sysinfo.org address.

click here will get you the full list

acfc 06:34 22 Jun 04

I use this click here to control start up programs

I always have a look after installing new programs as well to ensure no rubbish is added to the list.

rawprawn 08:45 22 Jun 04

I agree with Dan the Confused, Tune up Utilities is an excellent program and it should tell you what your unknown programs are. Failing that huggyg71's option is good and if you follow it carefully having found out what they are it should solve your problem.

Daz35 13:00 22 Jun 04

Thanks to all.

Huggyg71 - I can't seem to get sysinfo.org to search for start-up items, although I know what most are now.

Dan The Confused - Great program, although probably a bit too comprehensive for what I needed!

acfc - Thanks for the link - it was spot on for getting rid of unwanted entries.

Bring on the Portuguese.............

ROONEY, ROONEY, ROONEY etc...............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now