Deleting files in printer queue

ChrisP 12:56 01 Aug 03

This is a long-standing and trivial but irritating issue.

From time to time I send a file to the printer and then immediately realise that I need to alter something (date, etc.). I remove the paper tray so the printer doesn't print and then open the printer dialog which includes 'Cancel all...'. Nothing happens for a long time and I often just have to reboot before I get the file/document removed from the print queue. How can I close the printer and empty the buffer? I use XP but had this with W98 before.

stlucia 14:32 01 Aug 03

Start/settings/printer then highlight the document and click Document/Cancel works if the document is still in the queue.

Otherwise, switch the printer off line (not power off) and wait for the error message telling you there's a problem, which then gives you the option to Cancel. That works with the two printers I have, without much delay other than about 15 seconds before the error message comes up.

ChrisP 23:47 01 Aug 03

Thanks, stlucia. Your first paragraph is what I do already without much success.

Can you tell me what you mean by switching the printer off-line? The only way of doing this is to turn the printer mains off, isn't it? I've tried this and received the message but it is very slow and clearly even a 15s wait is not what Microsoft had in mind originally. Is this the only way or can I get at the printer buffer more directly?

User-312386 23:56 01 Aug 03

i have the same problem as welll

will follow this one closely

dave h 00:02 02 Aug 03

I occasionally have the same problem as ChrisP.
My HP Deskjet 720 will not delete items from the print queue as suggested by stlucia. Sometimes the print queue even survives the computer being powered down and re-booted!

Note - it doesn't happen every time I cancel the print queue, only somtimes

I've learned to live with it:-]

ChrisP 10:57 02 Aug 03

Dave H

I've come to live with it also, but is this a known bug? I can't find any earlier references to this in Helproom but can't believe that we are unique!

Gaz 25 11:00 02 Aug 03

If it is an Epson, they do all that!!!!

ChrisP 14:45 02 Aug 03

Gaz 25

No - it's an HP. It happened on my old 520C and it still happens on my newer 950C. Maybe more to do with the Windows software?

stlucia 08:47 04 Aug 03

On my Epson and Canon, pressing one of the buttons on the printer panel (not the power one) stops it printing immediately -- I think it's off line because very soon an error message comes up on my PC screen telling me there's a problem, and giving me an option to cancel or abandon printing.

With an HP Laserjet 5000 at work, pressing the green button puts it off line.

Cesar 09:36 04 Aug 03

Go to Start Control Panel Printers and Fax's, right click on Printer select Properties click on the advanced tab make sure the radio button for "print directly to printer" is selected then cancel all print Jobs in the spooling menu. See if this helps

ChrisP 11:53 04 Aug 03

Thanks, Cesar. I'll try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…