Deleting files for good

javaBalls 21:45 26 Oct 04

Eraser v5.6 says
"Deleting files doesn't actually destroy all the data--it just makes it harder to find. To make sure those files are good and gone, you need to overwrite them with a tool like this one."

What about re-formatting a PC? Does this completley remove files for ever?

stalion 21:51 26 Oct 04

no re-formatting does not remove files forever they can still be accessed.You need a tool that will overwrite them many times

VoG II 21:52 26 Oct 04

As far as you are concerned, yes. As far as a determined snooper is convcerned then, no.

Have a look on your drive manufacturer's website for a zero write program.

Even then...

javaBalls 22:01 26 Oct 04

just as I thought.

I have read about a program in PC Advisor that writes over the disk about 40 times but I can't remember what it's called. Does anyone know what it's called. And is it free?

Simsy 22:22 26 Oct 04

hypothetically speaking, (and I realise that this may be impractical with a HDD that may be larger than, say, 40 gig,) filling the HDD up with audio files?

I understand that if there is data on a HDD and that data is "deleted" the data is still there... However, lets suppose we have a 10gig HDD, that has 6gig of files on it. If those files are "deleted" they may still be accessed, (in the correct hands, with the correct software), until the data has actually been overwritten. If you were to copy some audio cd's, (it would probably take about a dozen), onto the HDD, this would have the effect of overwriting the previously "deleted" data, making it unrecoverable.

You could then "delete" the audio files, and reformat the HDD. In theory the audio files would still be recoverable, but the previous data wuld not. I presume this achieves what is required?

(Note that I only suggest Audio CDs as a means of taking up the HDD space quickly and easily. The pertinent point is to fill up the HDD space so that the space taken up by the original "deleted" files is overwritten. Any type of file would do.)

As usual, I'm open to correction. In fct I'd welcome a rebuttal, with explanation, if I've got it wrong!

Regards,

Simsy

javaBalls 22:53 26 Oct 04

Interesting theory but I think that the small company that I'm doing this for would prefer a simpler approach.

carheex 22:54 26 Oct 04

There's a program on Norton Utilities called "wipe info" that claims to do the trick..

Furthark 22:57 26 Oct 04

'Spybot' in its tools section has a program that will over write as many times as you want chosen files.

PSF 22:59 26 Oct 04

Have a look in the advanced settings in SpybotSearch and Destroy. It has a secure file shredder tool which is free.

sattman 22:59 26 Oct 04

The only sure way to clean a disc is to deguase and the cost for most would be unaccepable

javaBalls 23:02 26 Oct 04

thanks for the feedback.

I have got sypbot - i'll check the advanced settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…