Deleting files / explorer problems

mmack 09:26 17 Feb 04

I have a problem in that I have a couple of large video files which , as I no longer need Iwant to delete ,unfortunately I have been unable to do this as I keep getting a message - ths file is being used by another application / program. Any ideas on how to delete these files??

Also , just recently , I have been experiencing quite a lot of explorer ' hangs ' whilst exploring the filesystem on my pc,it seems to be restricted to one drive only but I'm not 100% sure. Any ideas on this one?
Any help is gratefully received.

johnnyrocker 09:34 17 Feb 04

os? and how about safe mode

johnny.

Ridleyrider 09:41 17 Feb 04

My PC is extremely slow today in general and things are hanging. I'm running XP & BT broadband.

I have had a search through my software and I have some rogue stuff there which I feel is the route of the problem. I'm not sure how it got there but I can't delete it.

I have tried deleting the folders via Program Files on the C Drive but I get the same message as the poster above 'ths file is being used by another application / program'. I'm unable to find where it is running.

I have then tried to remove it via add or remove programmes in the control panel but it wont let me. It doesn't give me any messages, it just hangs.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jester2K 09:43 17 Feb 04

Ridleyrider - please start your own thread. Also add more details about the "Rouge software"

Jester2K 09:44 17 Feb 04

mmack - try deleting in Safe Mode as per johnnyrockers post.

Have you tried deleting after a reboot?

mmack 12:23 17 Feb 04

its XP by the way, will try safe mode delete see how it goes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…