Deleting files

StellaArtois63 23:46 16 Nov 05

I have read recently that when we delete anything from the PC using "recycle bin", it does not actually remove the file from the PC it just tells the computer not to use it and sits idle on the hard drive. Then if you were to sell your PC, anyone with the know how could see all your previous actions done on the PC.
If this is correct can anyone advise me on a good, free file eraser, and what dangers I could come up against using it. Many thanks.

jbp1982 23:49 16 Nov 05

Paranoid.

Unless your doing dodgy stuff on your computer I wouldn't worry. click here clears out junk from the hard disk.

When selling the computer do a reformat and re install the OS and defrag the hard disk a few times. Anyone wanting to recover the data off the hdd would have to pay a fortune as data recovery is INCREDIBLY expensive.

jbp1982 23:53 16 Nov 05

When you delete something, your telling the computer it can save something else to the space that the deleted file occupies on the hard disk. Therefore that space may be overwritten with another file soon after anyway.

lester1 00:09 17 Nov 05

Try this click here.

wjrt 00:17 17 Nov 05

click here

at your own risk

DieSse 00:34 17 Nov 05

It's not quite correct to say it sits there idle on the hard drive.

It's true the file is not erased. But what happens is that the space it occupies is made available for re-use. So eventually it gets written over by new files - either in part or totally.

So someone might find some of your deleted files, but not all of them by a long way.

The advice to reformat and re-install the OS when selling is good - and all that's needed in normal circumstances.

StellaArtois63 11:36 17 Nov 05

I thank you all for your replies it makes interesting reading. I think I will just carry on as normal but its worth thinking about if I decide to replace this one. Having said that I dont think I have anything to hide and my brother in law has his eyes on this PC. Again thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…