deleting files.???

iangower 20:54 01 Mar 05

I have a shortcut on the desktop which when I click on it I get the message 'is not a valid win 32 application' and if I try to delete it it states "that is in use by another person or program and I should down any program that is using it".............I cannot find another prog that would be using this file.....Help Has anyone any suggestions ???????

VoG II 20:56 01 Mar 05

Try in Safe Mode click here

Or use Remove on Reboot click here

LeadingMNMs 20:56 01 Mar 05

It might be useful to know what the program is.

Also, check that its not running as a process in Task Manager (CTRL - ALT - DEL).

LeadingMNMs 21:48 01 Mar 05

Via e-mail

"Safe mode has not worked the file is 'AVG7FREE_300a456' which was partially downloaded and stopped, a short cut has appeared on the desktop and I am unable to get rid of it !!!!!!!"

Is the 'file' on the desktop a shortcut or the actual executable ? I would suspect that its the executable if you cannot delete it, or have I missed something ?

Presumably the partially downloaded file is the installer and hence it can be removed alot easier than an insatlled files.

Personally I would try a DOS Prompt to remove it, but its your choice if you want to use this method. I'm sure that there are programs that do this with less user intevention (haven't looked at VOG's link).

Open a Command Prompt from the Accessories Menu, the prompt will hopefully start at "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username" if not then post back where you start from, unless you understand DOS. Now type "cd desktop" press enter and then type "dir" and enter again. This will give you a list of all files on your desktop. If its an installer then the simplest way to remove it is to type "del *.exe" or "del *.msi" depending on its extension. HOWEVER if you have other files on the desktop with the same extension then they would also be removed (completely, not to the recycle bin). In this case, you'll have to type in the complete filename, so something like "del AVG7FREE_300a456.exe/msi", however sometimes DOS can be a pain with filenames.

iangower 10:55 02 Mar 05

Now resolved .....Thanks to all who responded !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…