Deleting duplicate photos

Yimbo 17:15 24 Jan 11

Over time, perhaps inevitably, I have accumulated a good many duplicates of photos. Is there a straightforward way to search for and delete these from "My Pictures" and Picasa - other than manually going through them all and deleteing one by one?

GaT7 17:18 24 Jan 11

I've found the free Duplicate Cleaner click here to be one of the best for this sort of thing. G

mooly 17:25 24 Jan 11

Not just duplicate photos... if you use Windows to edit any then look in this folder,

C:\Users\<Username>\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery\Original Images

There will be a copy of the originals here which are used to "revert" or undo changes made to the original. If you never intend undoing changes you made, cropping, colour etc then delete them.

Muergo 22:06 24 Jan 11

Rated best by several reviewers is VisiPics which I have used for a couple of years,

Not only does it throw up copies, it also shows very similar shots so you can choose which one to keep, other progs only show identical photos

Yimbo 00:35 25 Jan 11

your advice looks just right for what I want!
Much appreciated!

JITC1 14:52 25 Jan 11

Thanks for this info. managed to delete over 300 photos

Peter 13:41 29 Jan 11

Thanks for your link (Mon, [email protected]:18) to Duplicate Cleaner. What a useful programme; so many useful options and ways to find duplicates, even if you have renamed a copied file.

Peter.

GaT7 15:55 29 Jan 11

Glad that helped Peter.

Did you try Muergo's VisiPics (click here) suggestion? Looks like it could be even better. G

Peter 18:09 29 Jan 11

Thanks for the link to VisiPics. I've downloaded version 1.3 and I will try it out.

The original need for a duplicate finder was for music files, which Duplicate Cleaner deals with well, but I also need to sort out some photographs, which I've been working on, so thanks again for the link to VisiPics.

Peter.

Peter 10:28 31 Jan 11

Thank you both for the suggestion of VisiPics (Muergo) and the link to it (Crossbow7).

I've installed VisiPics Ver. 1.3 and it seems very good. It found two lower resolution files of a digital photo I had been playing with, but had forgotten that I now had several copies of the shot. It also found a couple of "duplicate" shots where my digital camera appears to have taken two identical pictures in quick succession, but with slightly different file sizes, for some unknown reason. Strange?

Thanks again, Peter.

GaT7 11:26 31 Jan 11

Hi Peter, thanks for getting back & sharing your positive experience.

As Muergo mentioned earlier, VisiPics finds similar content & not just identical content that most of the others do.

Will give it a try when I need to do a clean-up next. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…