deleting backups

qwesaws 15:44 09 Oct 10

Hi,
I have a "iomega" backup drive and I have been backing up the two main drives monthly but not scheduled however today I started the backup but half way thru I stopped and told me that the drive was full what I need to know is how do I create space on the drive to enable me to do a full backup perhaps when you`ve told me how to do this I should in future clear the old backups from the drive prior to creating a new backup, your advise would be very much appreciated,
thanks eric,
PS also I brought the drive new and I`ve tried to register on the forum but I can`t find the licence Key number from the menu the drive is p/n 31803900 GDHDU model and ser/no THBA 10D865 and my email address isn`t recognised

mgmcc 16:07 09 Oct 10

You don't say what program you're using to create the backups. If it is something like Acronis True Image, and you're creating full backups each time, all you need to do is to delete some of the oldest backups. When the external drive is plugged in, it will appear in "Computer" (My Computer) with its own drive letter and you can delete, copy, paste etc files in exactly the same way as with the internal drives.

qwesaws 17:02 09 Oct 10

I`m using an Iomega (macrum reflect) so does the same apply? thanks for your response anyway

mgmcc 17:13 09 Oct 10

If the backups are separately identifiable, even if only by their date of creation, then 'yes' you can start deleting some of the oldest backups.

The practice often used is to have "three generations" of backup - grandfather, father & son. When the next backup is due, delete 'grandfather' and create a new 'son'. If things go pear-shaped while creating the latest backup, you will always have two to fall back on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac