//some 3rd party need geo

Deleteing files through DOS

Poloman69 17:57 07 May 04

A while ago I had to delete some files through DOS as it said 'cannot delete file - currently in use by windows'

I cannot remember how to go through DOS to delete files individually.

Can anyone help to take me through step by step how to delete files from my C-Drive through DOS

GaT7 18:02 07 May 04

You don't mention which OS. To delete stubborn files/folders you could use the steps here - click here.

Poloman69 18:12 07 May 04

Sorry - using win98

GaT7 18:24 07 May 04

1. First make a note of the FULL path of the file(s) you want to delete. e.g., you want to delete a file called 'Accounts' which is on your desktop - the full path will be C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Accounts.

2. Press Start -> Shut Down -> Restart in MS-Dos mode. OK.

3. In MS-Dos, at the command prompt, type "del C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Accounts" (without the quotes) & press Enter.

GaT7 18:39 07 May 04

...type "del C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Accounts"...

Posting again as you may not have seen the single space between del & C.

woodchip 18:58 07 May 04

You will on occasions have to use the CD switch meaning Change Directory. Not forgetting that if its in Program Files it is like this Progra~1

alnwrd 20:40 07 May 04

Once you're in DOS type cd \ this puts you in the root directory. To find the file you want type
dir "filename"/s The /s tells dos to search all sub directories. you can also add /p if the list scrolls off your screen. Then cd into the directory containing the file and type del "filename".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…