Deleted wrong account!!! Help!!

perplexed user 17:34 15 Dec 04

I had 2 accounts on my notebook, one is the account I use to log onto the network onboard my ship, the other when (the deleted) when at home. I have mistakeanly deleted the wrong account...my home account!
Is this irretrievable or is it gone forever and the data with it? Any advise appreciated. System is XP Home. I'm unable to do a system restore since the remaining account is admin protected.
Many thanks

Graham ® 17:48 15 Dec 04

If the remaining account is admin. protected, by whom?

Graham ® 17:52 15 Dec 04

Sorry, XP home. So you are the Administator?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 15 Dec 04

The first option is to press [Ctrl][Alt][Delete] at the Welcome Screen twice This will change the Welcome Screen login to the Windows 2000 style log in, where you can now type Administrator and the password for the Admin account.

The second option is to boot in safe mode, under which the Welcome Screen will display only accounts with Administrator privileges, including the original Administrator account.

Then do a restore, if that doesn't work then
I think the files will still be on the harddrive and if you open a new account with the same name as the one you deleted you may be back as you were.

Graham ® 20:18 15 Dec 04

Email received (please respond in the thread):

'Graham...my mistake I'm on xp pro so does that make a difference? I can get into the admin/client2 account which is the remaining a/c but don't have the password. Thanks'

Graham ® 20:21 15 Dec 04

Do you mean there is a password, but someone else has it? Or is there no password?

Graham ® 20:34 15 Dec 04

Please respond in the thread by using the 'Add a new response' box below, instead of the yellow envelope beside my name. No-one else can see your emails to me unless I copy them.

'password I have been given is perhaps incorrect and the administrator has now left for when I was on that ship. Its a nightmare I know.'

Graham ® 20:41 15 Dec 04

Too late.

'your a star graham ! I owe you a pint or two! Did it with restore okay in safe mode!'

Graham ® 20:42 15 Dec 04

Though I do think Fruit Bat /\0/\ played a small part.

try going to c:/documents and settings. In there, there might be a folder with the name of the deleted account. You will find all your files in here (depending whether you chose to keep or delete all the files when deleting the account)

Hope that helps

Dave

VoG II 20:45 15 Dec 04

Graham ® - you are too modest.

I can just imagine the frustration of somebody doing a search on here, finding a thread that exactly matches their problem and marked resolved, with no sodding solution!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…