Deleted Word by accident

Nutty Nora 16:44 17 Jan 06

Hi, I was having problems with my Outlook with Windows XP, so followed some advice on the internet and downloaded Windows Installer Repair. I then deleted Office from that. I cannot open any of my Word documents. I attempted System Restore but when PC re-booted it said this had been unsuccessful. I have just reinstalled my Office disk, but Word is still not working but Publisher is. Please help me

Graham ® 16:44 17 Jan 06

Is Word in Programs?

Nutty Nora 16:49 17 Jan 06

Hi, thanks

Yes Word is in programs, when I click on it it says "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". I have to say though I hven't re-booted since I re-installed from CD, do you think I should?

Graham ® 16:50 17 Jan 06

Yes, re-boot.

Diemmess 17:06 17 Jan 06

Whenever you make basic changes to your computer it is a good idea to re-boot.
This confirms the registry settings and everything should be settled down and in its place by the time the desktop is fully developed.

If re-booting this time doesn't fix matters, but Windows seems happy again, then use the Add/Remove Programs facility in Control Panel to remove MS Office and MS word if it is there as a separate entity.

Then reboot and now try a new installation of whatever you want from Office. Finally.....reboot!

Nutty Nora 17:12 17 Jan 06

Right, just tried a re-boot but still not working. When I go to Add / Remove Programs there is no Word but Office is there as:
Microsoft Office XP Media Content and also as Microsoft Office XP Web Components. Should I still remove it?

Graham ® 17:39 17 Jan 06

Put the Office CD in and select repair.

Nutty Nora 18:09 17 Jan 06

I now seem to have my word documents back ok but in doing so I deleted Internet Explorer. I have now got that back but I have lost my Accessories including Paint and Games. When I try to re-install from Windows Components it won't accept my disk. I think I am just going to beat the hell out of it!

Graham ® 18:16 17 Jan 06

Check the filing system:

Start, Run, 'sfc /scannow', OK. Note the space.

Nutty Nora 18:44 17 Jan 06

Done that, it is now very slowly checking that my disk is valid or something like that (Windows File Protection)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…