deleted winword.exe by mistake

palinka 08:57 14 Oct 03

a friend has just sent me the following problem - In cleaning my recycle bin etc, I seem to have destroyed file Winword.exe which reads Word files !!
I have the CD for Windows98 installation, but my machine says it cant find that file. Any tips please? Or should I delete the whole Windows 98 and reinstall afresh from the CD ?
As far as I know he doesn't have MS Office or Word, hence his problem.
Advice much appreciated.

MAJ 09:04 14 Oct 03

Winword.exe is part of Office, palinka, not Windows. Your friend will need the Office disks.

Taff36 09:05 14 Oct 03

Before we start Word is part of Office Suite and is an application. Windows 98 is an operating system. They are two different things. Re-installing Windows won`t get Word back if they had it in the first place that is.

Do I detect that maybe your friend had a Word Viewer but not the full blown version?

MAJ 09:05 14 Oct 03

Or rather, I should say the MS Word disk.

palinka 09:07 14 Oct 03

yes, Taff, I think that must be it.

palinka 09:26 14 Oct 03

thanks Taff36 and MAJ. Turns out he does have Word after all, so panic over and problem solved.
thank you both for responding so promptly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…