Deleted system software...help

andy@ 14:09 31 Oct 05

I managed to delete some 'non-essential' Win98 system software by mistake - inept use of add/remove software whne presented by 'optional' files that could be cleaned up. I thought I was deleting the multi language files, but instead deleted the calculator, volume control etc.

I couldn't retrieve it using my Norton protected bin for some reason.

My Win98 disk is 'installation' only. My compaq restore disk doesn't seem to be much help either.

Could anyone suggest how I can restore the deleted items?

Andy

absent 14:21 31 Oct 05

Go to control panel, add remove software. add remove windows components. Have your installation disk handy.

Curio 14:22 31 Oct 05

Go into Start, Setup, Control panel, Add and Remove Programs. Click on Windows Setup. Select Multimedia and ensure the box is ticked for Volume Control. Then Accessories, ensure Calculator is ticked. Check each heading to find anything else that needs its box ticking. You may have to use your Restore disk but it could well be on the hard drive. Reboot. Hope this helps

Curio 14:32 31 Oct 05

If your Restore Disk is for Included software, use the Installation disk instead.

andy@ 15:09 31 Oct 05

So, if I get what you're saying... hopefully the PC will find the missing software from within the Win98 CD or compaq disk, even if the CD is for full installation/restore only, if I have the CD in the PC, when selecting add software.

Thanks - don't think I've tried this.

The accidental deletion happened a few weeks ago, I noticed fairly soon that the calculator had vanished, but only yesterday noticed that the volume control, annoyingly, seemed to have gone too.

Andy

Curio 18:23 31 Oct 05

Apologies if I have confused you. One of your CDs contains the Windows System and associated software. The Other CD contains Supplied Software that was factory installed - such as Image manipulation software or DVD Software. You need The First mentioned CD in the Drive if your PC asks for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…