Deleted items not held in recycle bin

LAP 18:38 25 May 03

Running Win xp pro. i have noticed that the recycle bin has sprung a leak. ie does not retain anything i send to it. i have made sure that the 'Do not move files to the recycle bin 'is unchecked. I have just done my 1st system restore. Today I downloaded a copy of the freeby 'internet sweeper' could this be at fault?
I have just uninstalled this. No change, the bins still got a hole in it. Any ideas cheers.. Lap..

spikeychris 19:06 25 May 03

Lap, check to see if your shift keys are sticking, pressing the shift key by-passes the bin.

Chris

Ironman556 19:41 25 May 03

Right click the bin, go to properties. Check that the option to immidiately delete files isn't enabled.

LAP 22:53 25 May 03

spikeychris tried your suggestion no good, key appears to working ok..
Ironman556 checked the bin again 'the option' is not enabled, but thank you. Would have been back sooner, system up the creak couldn't log on. Time for bed work tomorrow. cheers..Lap..

Ironman556 18:45 26 May 03

Try the system file checker. Start --> Run -- tpye 'sfc' (without ' '). You'll need the Windows disc. It may fix other OS problems too.

Or: Try a re-installation of Windows, you should be able to stick the disk in and re-install over the top of your current installation. You'll refresh all your windows files that way. Your documents etc should be safe, but if you have anything important back it up first.

LAP 19:12 28 May 03

I persisted in my search for an answer and found it...

I noticed that although the recycle bin was empty when I right clicked on it on the desk top the 'Empty Recycle Bin' was highlighted. I clicked on this and the 'Confirm Mulitiple File Delete' screen appeared 'Are you sure you want to delete these 96 items?'(where have they been hiding)These are not visible in the Recyle Bin folder. I clicked yes. I was then able to use the Recycle Bin as you should.

It would appear that the problem may have been a file I had deleted possible 'Clean Sweeper' which I had downloaded had somehow made all items in the Recycle Bin invisible.
I didn't attempt your idea Ironman556 but I was getting close to it..Thanks everbody..Lap..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…