Deleted email

Bun 17:39 17 Aug 06

Hi
I have deleted an email that was sent to my wife. First she tells me to delete it now she wants it back!! I have a file recovery prog but I don't know where the email is hiding. Need help quick or divorce could be on the cards. Not too sure whether thats good or bad.
Cheers

recap 17:55 17 Aug 06

If it's Outlook Express do a search for *dbx files.

If it's Outlook do a search for *.pst files

Locate the deleted files copy then to say the desktop, go to your mail client and import them back.

DieSse 17:57 17 Aug 06

emails are not files - so you won't just find it as a file.

All emails are contained within a database - so the Inbox is one file - the Deleted items are one file, and so on. The files are (in Outlook Express) .dbx files.

When you delete an email, first it's sent to the Deleted Items folder - for safety, you shouldn't empty that too often. I presume you've already looked and it isn't there.

When you delete an email from any folder, it doesn't immediately vanish from the .dbx file - it's simply taken out of the "active items" index (that's the way databasees work).

You could try opening the Deleted Items.dbx file in Wordpad and see if the missing file is still around - it'll be a long mess of wierd characters, but with some real text in it, which are the individual emails.

Personally I would blame the wife for changing her mind - but then ....

Bun 18:40 17 Aug 06

Thanks guys will start the search soonest. It's just the washing and ironing I don't fancy doing!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…