Deleted desktop and work on xp

Dazla 16:10 10 Feb 04

Somebody HELP, I have lost my desktop and the work that was saved on it.

My uncle came round yesterday, say my desktop and informed me that it was cluttered. He proceeded to tell my that by uncluttering it I would save time on my boot ups and the general working of the computer would be faster.
Go ahead I told him, :-(, he moved and deleted files, and put them in places with new shortcuts, unfortunately the computer doesnt know where he put everything.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let there be a way to undo all that was done and restore my desktop to pre technical desaster named uncle.

All advice is welcome

thisisnighthawk 16:19 10 Feb 04

first, never the uncle near it again..

can you not get it all back with "systen restore"

Diodorus Siculus 16:20 10 Feb 04

If you have the document shortcuts, you know the names of the documents (obviously) - can you do a search for them on your PC?

ddd3 16:24 10 Feb 04

I know nothing about XP, but I'm betting you have Restore, or something similar on there, someone who does have XP can put you straight on that. Meanwhile check if the Wastebasket has actually been emptied, don't do anything that might overwrite deleted files (Save nothing if you don't HAVE to), and if all else fails you can buy programs that 'find' deleted material. Most of the usual 'desktop apps' suppliers do one.

whybe 17:26 10 Feb 04

If on XP Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.
Follow the Wizard choosing a date before your uncle started playing with it. You made need to choose a couple of dates and it takes a little while without appearing to do anything, best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…