deleted *.dbx files

porridge 18:24 29 Jan 07

Silly me. I deleted the *.dbx files form Outlook Express and to my horror, the deletion also wiped my inbox, sent items, and everything else.

Olease please, can anyone tell me how to recover the in files and the sent ones?

Porridge

powerless 18:27 29 Jan 07

Looked in the bin?

Stuartli 18:29 29 Jan 07

After Searching Files and Folders from the Start menu (.dbx files including, IIRC, Hidden files) I then downloaded OEView to be able to read them:

click here

If you wish to keep any of these you can copy and paste each one into an OE message panel or save them all as per instructions.

porridge 21:36 29 Jan 07

Powerless what do YOU think? Of course I looked in the bin whichis empty since I wiped everything.

Stuartli

I already have OE overview but although thanks to you I can now see the *.dbx files, when I try to open them all I get are pages of squares. So, if youknow, what do I do next to geet them transferred back to Word files?

Thank you.

Porridge

PalaeoBill 22:23 29 Jan 07

If you have deleted them and emptied the bin then they are gone; you will need to use an undelete utility. I have used this one with some success.

click here

For the *.dbx files that you have recovered. These can be dropped back into your OE's store location directory.
Toos>Options>Maintenance>Store Location>
will give you the directory path. Drop the *.dbx files in here and OE should see them and allow you to access their contents.

porridge 10:25 30 Jan 07

Palaeobill

I followed your instructions and got everything done as suggested. However, the folders I got into the Store location are unfortunately all empty. It looks then as if the files really are lost.

Many thanks for your help.

Porridge.

porridge 10:25 30 Jan 07

Palaeobill

I followed your instructions and got everything done as suggested. However, the folders I got into the Store location are unfortunately all empty. It looks then as if the files really are lost.

Many thanks for your help.

Porridge.

PaulB2005 10:49 30 Jan 07

"I deleted the *.dbx files form Outlook Express and to my horror, the deletion also wiped my inbox, sent items, and everything else."

The DBX files ARE your folders. So if you really have lost them the folders and e-mails have too...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant