Deleted Boot Files

Tugum 23:18 20 Feb 08

In order to recover from a system crash, where I was unable to implement the advice given in this forum or use the XP Home Repair function, I successfully completed a reinstallation onto my D Drive & whenever I booted up 2 OS’s were found & I chose the new one to boot from. My original OS was on the C drive. Drives C & D are partitions on the same HDD. I installed onto the D drive as I was wary of the warnings given about reinstalling on the same drive.

As the 2 OS were being found & there was nothing else on the C drive, I thought that I would use my XP CD to delete & then recreate the C partition (I expect there a lot of people who are now shaking their heads & tut-tutting). Reading other threads I am now the wiser that there are 3 files required for the process that always reside on the C drive regardless of where the OS is installed.

My boot sequence is CD, Floppy, HDD.

If I try to boot from the XP CD I don’t get the option message to boot from CD.
But if I press a key I get the following:
• PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable (Not sure which cable?)
• PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDEA Boot Agent
• Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disc & Press Enter
• If I just select Enter, the process repeats
If I don’t press any key:
• Only 1 prompt to boot from CD is displayed whereas if I keep pressing a key as above I get 2 prompts
• I get the Message that setup is inspecting your computer’s hardware & then the screen goes black & the CPU light stays a stead red.
If I remove the XP CD & reboot I get the same as selecting to boot from the CD

As I understand it from reading other threads, I need to create a bootable floppy, the instructions for which FB has kindly provided on other threads, to boot my PC. What I’m not sure of is do I then copy these files to my C drive, if so where to, or keep using the floppy to boot the system.

I look forward to the day when I have enough know how to be able to respond to a thread rather than just posting them.

brundle 23:53 20 Feb 08

Not sure what you're trying to achieve - do you want to boot from D: without the prompts, have you installed to C: and want to boot from there, again without prompts? The file controlling the dual/multi boot process is called Boot.ini and resides on the C: drive, hidden from Explorer. You can view it using MSConfig. click here

Tugum 19:11 21 Feb 08

Hi brundle,
Having deleted the previous OS on C by deleting & then recreating the C partition using my XP CD, I am just trying to boot from E (sorry D entered in error) without any prompt. I have tried to boot as detailed above without any success & therefore unable to access MSConfig. I am using a borrowed lap top at the moment.

Tugum 19:27 21 Feb 08

Am I right in thinking that there is nothing on C.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 21 Feb 08

On root of C: drive

You need files
NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR
and Boot.ini

If laptop is running same system then you can copy from laptop.

However Boot.ini files needs to be ammended to point to the correct location of windows (E: drive)
below is for C: drive master drive (0)first partition(1)
click here explains numbering system.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Tugum 20:08 21 Feb 08

Hi FB,
No floppy on lap top - can I use a cd?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 21 Feb 08

Cd or pen drive makes no difference you just need to copy the files across

Tugum 21:29 21 Feb 08

The only Boot.ini I can find is a backup file ‘Boot.ini.backup (1kb)’ in C:\WINDOWS\pss – is this the right one?

I have amended a copy in Notebook to read partition 2 on lines 3 & 5 (C & E on same drive). The only other difference is that it states /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn whereas you reply states /noexecute=optin /fastdetect. Is this significant?

Assuming I get this right & there are no other problems with my PC. I assume that once I have booted I have got to copy these files to somewhere on my E Drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:45 21 Feb 08

The only other difference is that it states /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn whereas you reply states /noexecute=optin /fastdetect. Is this significant?

no

Assuming I get this right & there are no other problems with my PC. I assume that once I have booted I have got to copy these files to somewhere on my E Drive.

No, needs to be on C:

Tugum 22:33 21 Feb 08

No luck – Failed on the same messages that I get when I try to boot from XP CD
• PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

Is the failure to boot from either of these disks pointing towards a more serious problem?

I have tried both CDs in my DVD & CD drives &
noticed that the red indicator light flashes when the disks are inserted, but does not flash when trying to boot.

One of the reasons given on the Web for error PXE-E61 is that no boot record can be found.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:46 21 Feb 08

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

Disable boot from LAN

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced