Delete XP - Install 98SE

Carronade 08:15 13 Oct 04

I want to remove XP from an older computer and replace it with Windows 98 SE before giving it to a friend. (XP does not recognise the CD Rom drives fitted to the machine.)

I have printed out advice on deletion and installation from previous threads and downloaded a Start Up disc but cannot get the process started. Advice would be gladly received.

Trolley 08:54 13 Oct 04

Is the computer able to boot from a cd?

Also, do you need to keep any of the work currently on the system, as you will have to change the file system of the hard disk?

Diemmess 09:09 13 Oct 04

If the HD is 20Gb or less, you can make a clean sweep by booting from the floppy and running FDISK.

This will sweep everything off and after partitioning and formatting the (one or more) partition/s, you can boot from the floppy and type C: Enter.

Now you can choose to copy all the Win98 files from the CD to a new folder (W98) and setup from there, or run setup from the CD.

Or alternatively as Trolley said - you can now set the computer to boot from a CD and let Windows do the rest.

Carronade 09:16 13 Oct 04

Thank you for your help. The HD is 20 Gb. I will try again to boot from the floppy and let you know how I get on - I am going for a 'clean' install.

Carronade 12:45 13 Oct 04

No joy. I have gone into the "BIOS - Advanced Set Up" and switched the '1st Boot device' to 'off', leaving the second ('Floppy')on.

With the 98SE floppy in drive A, I get "Searching for Boot Record from floppy ... OK"
"Remove disks or other media"
"Press any key to restart" followed by a flashing cursor

Any key results in XP loading.

The instructions I printed I downloaded from the internet, as suggested in an earlier thread.

What else can I do?

vandango 12:51 13 Oct 04

I have recently done this, try booting from the windows 98 cd worked ok for me after a few attempts trying to find the right options to select

Valvegrid 12:58 13 Oct 04

The problem is probably the hard drive being formatted in NTFS which is not recognised by FDISK on the 98 boot disk. Therefore the NTFS patition needs to be removed, there is an application called DELPART.EXE which will do this for you, it can be obtained from here:

click here

Bootup using the 98 boot disk then change disks for the one with DELPART.EXE and remove the partition. Reboot the computer with the 98 boot disk again and you'll be able to FDISK and FORMAT as normal.

Valvegrid 13:05 13 Oct 04

By the way, switch the computer off, place the 98 boot disk in drive A and switch the computer on, it will load the tools into a virtual drive in the computer.

brittas 13:09 13 Oct 04

Put the 98se startup disk in - re-boot and fdisk it i.e. delete the partition with xp on. As the file system is ntfs 98se will not pick it up as a partition. Simply chose search for other partitions. The ntfs partition will show up - so delete it. Escape from fdisk and re-boot with the 98se disk in and chose "with cd support". Simply format c:\ and off you go.

brittas 13:10 13 Oct 04

sorry - didnt get in there quick enough with the response - valvegrid beat me to it - but don't need special software.

Carronade 13:36 13 Oct 04

Thank you all for your advice. I'll go and use it - I may not be heard from for some time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…