delete sys files

bigray 11:38 27 Feb 03

Windows ME
Have a removeable second hard drive 4GB that I used as a ghost backup, now changed it for a 10Gb. Can any one tell me how I can delete a folder on the 4GB called RESTORE 1GB of system files, every thing else deleted, tried to format it from windows (wont let me)can I do it from DOS? if so what commands, can still store to drive but want rid of folder RESTORE. Thanks

Lozzy 11:44 27 Feb 03

re start the pc in ms dos mode at the c:\windows> prompt type the in two dotts after it like C:\windows>,, hot return key then type the drive letter C:\D then at D:\"type" format D if D is the letter.. ok

bigray 11:54 27 Feb 03

thanks Lozzy but comes up with bad command or file name then prompts at D:\temp. I dont have a temp folder on D only RESTORE

pj123 15:05 27 Feb 03

Start up your computer and keep hitting F8 until you get a menu.

Select “MS Dos prompt only” (or similar)

When you get the C prompt type in D: and press enter (if D is your 4gb drive – if not change D for whatever letter your drive is)

At the D: prompt type in cd\restore and press enter. at the d:\restore prompt type in del *.* and press enter. when you get back to d:\restore type in cd .. and press enter

You should be back at d: prompt, now type in rd restore and press enter. when that is done switch off and restart the computer as normal, you should find the files and folder have gone.

bigray 15:34 27 Feb 03

Thanks pj123, problem solved, many thanks to you both

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…