Delete Only User On Win98SE PC - How?

Jester2K II 14:53 01 Jul 03

This week i am learning a lot of things i don't know....

ANother mate had 3 user profiles on his Win98SE PC. Doesn't want to reformat but has deleted 2 users and is now afraid to delete the last.

If he deletes the last will it revert to a normal set up where the PC boots to the desktop without asking for log in details??

Jester2K II 15:07 01 Jul 03

BTW He never used the last USer profile - just used to hit Esc when the prompt came up.

Make any difference??

woodchip 15:14 01 Jul 03

He should just click OK and he will not get prompted again

BurrWalnut 15:21 01 Jul 03

By not using a previous windows log-on profile, I have a feeling he may not be recognised when accessing the internet - I may be wrong as I haven't had a windows log on for years.

Jester2K II 15:24 01 Jul 03

When he hits OK it says Windows Log On Password Is Incorrect.

Its funny - the user name is blank but the password box is selected by default.

There is one user listed in Control Panel User but they never use it.

Also if they always hit Esc what does that do instead of entering a User Name and Password??

Jester2K II 15:26 01 Jul 03

Been asked what if he deletes the pwl files in the Windows dir?? He has 000.pwl, Charlie.pwl and Default.pwl none of which match the USer list in CP.

(Think he's got someone else on the case too)

Jester2K II 15:40 01 Jul 03

Ctrl. Panel >Network applet
Primary Network Login > Windows Logon

Password Properties
Check > All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop settings.

Remove Passwords:
Go to C:\Windows
Delete all .pwl files

Go to Run > Sysedit
Open system.ini
Delete all lines under
[Password Lists]
Save changes and close

This was the answer and well as -

To Disable User Profiles
Restart the computer. At the Windows logon screen, click Cancel.

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Passwords.

On the User Profiles tab, click All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop, and then click OK.

When you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.

To Remove Existing User Profiles
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

Use Registry Editor to remove the appropriate User name keys from the following registry key:

To remove all profiles, remove the ProfileList key.

When you are done, quit Registry Editor.

Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to remove the appropriate Windows\Profiles\User name folders. To remove all profiles, remove the Windows\Profiles folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…