Delete old Windows files after upgrade?

Pineman100 18:22 03 Feb 10

yesterday I installed Windows 7 to replace Vista (hurrah!). I did a clean install rather than an upgrade, then copied all my data back to the new installation.

However, the installer saved my entire previous Vista system in a folder called Windows.old. This folder is now occupying some 55GB of my hard drive.

I'm not sure that I can see the point of keeping this very large chunk of old stuff. I have a full backup of my new installation, including all my data, so - if you were me - would you go ahead and delete Windows.old?

GaT7 18:23 03 Feb 10

Yes, I would. G

PP321 19:04 03 Feb 10

Yup. start afresh, i did the same and I also had a hesitent "delete" finger haha, but i kept my music and videos and deleted the rest, glad i did.

mooly 19:27 03 Feb 10

Did you use the W7 disc to format your HDD ?
I suspect not, as that is why you have a windows old folder.
Yes, if there's nothing you want in there then delete it.

User-312386 21:06 03 Feb 10

Sounds like you did an upgrade to me and not a clean install!

But yes delete the .old file

Pineman100 09:22 04 Feb 10

Yes, I used the W7 disk for my new installation of Windows. It came free from HP, together with a utilities disk that contained a bios upgrade and various new drivers. This was part of the deal when I bought the laptop a few months ago.

I had to run the utilities disk first, then insert the Windows disk and choose upgrade or format/new install. Finally I had to run the utilities disk again.

I suspect it was the utilities disk that created the windows.old folder. The instructions that came from HP strongly recommended an upgrade installation, rather than a format/new install, because the latter would lose all user data files. I saved my data on my external HDD and did a format/clean install.

Anyway, many thanks for confirming my thoughts on this. I shall go ahead and delete the .old folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now