Delete My Documents

david4637 14:28 25 Feb 03

I have partitioned my HD and moved My Docs to the D:\. I can not delete My Docs on the C:\.
I get a message saying its a window function and can not be deleted. Any ideas please. David

Lú-tzé 14:43 25 Feb 03

Well, you can change the properties of my docs (preferably from the desktop) on C drive to point to D drive. That way it should not show up on C drive.

What is your OS? It may have a bearing on the answer.

hoverman 14:43 25 Feb 03

I believe that My Docs is a system folder and cannot be deleted. I once moved this folder to another partition and Windows would not allow me to delete it from there either. The only way was to reformat the partion.

hoverman 14:45 25 Feb 03

I meant to say copied the folder to another partition.

reaths 14:58 25 Feb 03

not sure but i think my documents is part of windows,as in my briefcase,games,desktop themes etc,to remove them or install them you have to put the os disk in and add/remove programs to change them remembering to hit apply before OK

dth 17:24 25 Feb 03

if you have copied the 'my docs' folder to drive D - then you cannot delete the entry in Drive C (as this will still contain the system files). If you have moved your 'my docs' folder to drive D then you can delete the entry under C.

To move the folder you just go into windows explorer and right click on the 'my docs' folder and select properties. Then change the C to D.

Stuart Leyland 17:35 25 Feb 03

As has been said, you cannot delete the My Documents folder because it is a Windows system file.

If you have your documents on the D: drive then right click the My Documents folder on the Desktop, click Properties and you can then define where the folder looks for your documents.

Alternatively you can "hide" it from the desktop using TweakUI which is obtainable from the Microsoft website.

MAJ 17:36 25 Feb 03

Unless this works for you. I've never tried it, so can't give a recommendation. click here

david4637 16:40 26 Feb 03

Thanks for your help, I will try your suggestions and report back. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced