Delete a file association

450223 13 Nov 11

I have managed to create two file accociations within 'Recommended Programs' window. Please, how do I delete the one I do not want?

johndrew 13 Nov 11

You don't say which OS you are using.

However, there are two options provided here and the Vista one should work for W7 as well.

If you have problems come back with more details.

450223 20 Nov 11

To johndrew, Sorry for the time it has taken to report back. I tried assoc .* Unfortunatly it did'nt work. I am running Windows 7 home premium 32bit. Do you please have another suggestion, that might resolve this. Many thanks

Graphicool1 20 Nov 11

How to remove 'File Associations' in 'Recommended Programs' popup.

Click 'Start' bottom left corner and in the 'Search Box' type...

regedit

Click the 'Windows Registry Editor' icon in the search results area.

Click the registry folder labeled...

HKEYCURRENTUSER

...Navigate through each of the registry sub folders, ie click on...

Software

Followed by...

Microsoft

...etc...

Windows

Current Version

Explorer

And finally...

FileExts

Scroll through the list of sub folders named after each type of file extension, such as...

.bmp or .html

Open only, the folder for the specific program you want to remove from the recommended programs list.

Right click the entry for the program's name, which will be located at the right side of the window.

To remove that program - Click...

Delete

(For example delete the "WinZip" entry from the ".zip" folder if you want to prevent the "WinZip" program from appearing in the recommended programs list).

Close the registry editor and restart Windows Operating System.

Source: HERE

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to set up Apple Music & make sure you don't get charged: Get Apple Music for free

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message