Delete cookies in IE6 : which program?

Zerogravity 09:59 02 May 09

I cannot delete cookies in IE6 for a long while, it just make the program in a "non responding" state and the I need to close the program.
At first I had found out it was an add-on that was blocking it, now I usually don't mind leaving cookies but now I have to delete them as Ebay is changing things again and I need to delete cookies to revert back to the old item page.
Is there any little program (other than Ccleaner, which is good but I just need a cookie deleter) that I could use to delete my cookies?
I am running window XP.

OTT_Buzzard 10:25 02 May 09

You can manually delete cookies however, i'd strongly recommend that if you use internet explorer that you upgrade to ie7 or ie8.

To manually delete cookies:

In IE6, go to Tools - Options., on the General tab, click View Files under Temporary Internet Files. This will open up an explorer window showing all temp internet files. Select all text files and delete.

Your system may be hanging because there's a lot of files to delete

Zerogravity 10:43 02 May 09

Thanks, it has done the trick.
If I download IE7 or IE8, will I lose all my favorites?

OTT_Buzzard 10:47 02 May 09

...no!

john bunyan 10:48 02 May 09

No, should be ok but maybe wouth making a backup. You can programme cCleaner to just delete cookies if you want.

Zerogravity 10:57 02 May 09

Ok, might try to download one of them, I hope I won't have the same problem than when I tried to download IE7 2 years ago.

OTT_Buzzard 11:09 02 May 09

Try updating through Windows Update. Saves having to download then install and may go a little more smoothly

Pine Man 11:10 02 May 09

Don't worry - if you have problems with a newer version all you need to do is uninstall it and you will be automatically reverted to the old one.

Zerogravity 11:43 02 May 09

The first time IE7 was downloaded on my PC, it was with automatic windows update, it was forced on me that way, amongst the high priority updates, once downloaded I could not connect to the internet. So I have restaured my system to a previous date and never looked back. It did two things : stop me wanting to upgrade as long as IE6 was working, and distrust Microsoft automatic updates, before they were only using this for high priority updates, now they were using this to force people in upgrading programs that should have been left in optional updates.
I wasn't a happy bunny to say the least, as I didn't want to mess up my new computer, so I have turn off automatic updates since then and check manually for updates every week.
I do download every critical and high priority updates, but the rest I pick and chose.

OTT_Buzzard 13:21 02 May 09

I've heard a few people make that kind of remark about auto updates. I guess its something that works well for you or it doesn't.....

click here to download ie7 or click here for ie8.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Zerogravity 13:31 02 May 09

Thanks, will do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…