Delayed opening of programs

fredhead40 01:47 17 Jan 04

MSI KT3 Ultra ARU with 2000+. XP Pro. System boots. Click on i.e, outlook express, messenger, even task manager. hourglass shows and then nothing. sometimes I can wait for 10 minutes before any of them open. It doesnt happen to all programs.
They all open at once when they decide to open.

Only started happening in that last month. My system has been running for over a year. Regular virus check with Norton.

Any suggestions?

Chegs ® 01:50 17 Jan 04

How long since you ran the various system tools,cleanup,defrag,etc?

fredhead40 02:08 17 Jan 04

Ran defrag twice and cleaned up a couple of weeks prior to the problem. Already rechecked and drives dont need defraging.

Chegs ® 02:20 17 Jan 04

What(if anything)does the Error Log say in "Help and Support" apart from the usual W32Time,etc.It should show if an application is hanging during boot.

pc moron 02:31 17 Jan 04

I use Norton AV and had similar problems a few days ago.

Have a look here click here

pc moron 02:44 17 Jan 04

Oh, just remembered.

In Internet Explorer got Tools> Internet Options> Advanced.

Scroll down to the bottom and under Security make sure Check for publisher's certificate revocation is not ticked.

If this speeds up your PC, then it's the Veri-sign problem.

fredhead40 15:41 17 Jan 04

Chegs ®
I dont get an error log because one isnt generated. The system doesnt recognise the problem as a fault.

pc moron
Checked and verified the cert and its in date.

One other thought.... I reinstalled System Suite 4.0 not long before it started to happen. Has anyone else have this program on their system.

pc moron 18:39 17 Jan 04

The only thing I can find that's similar to what you describe is this click here

It doesn't offer a solution though.

fredhead40 00:31 19 Jan 04

Thanks for the link.
Sounds the same as my problem.

I will try the MSN Messenger route although even when uninstalling messenger the file still remains on the drive.

fredhead40 01:28 22 Jan 04

Didnt get rid off the messenger but noticed that icq start up was slow. I remembered this happening over a year ago. Checked the icq and there was an updated version. For some reason the current version had a system message attached that couldnt be viewed and when I tried it crashed the pc.

Updated to ver 2000b and now all running fine again. We shall see.

Thanks for the help along the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…