Delayed Browser launch after dial up connection

CDL 21:29 26 Dec 04

I can connect to the Internet without a problem (dial up) but once connected there is a delay of up to 4 mins before I can launch a browser or any INTERNET related programs. If I try and launch Task manager the same applies. Once launched all is fine.

XP Pro SP2 Athlon 1700 512Mg RAM -
Could it be a memory problem?

VoG II 21:38 26 Dec 04

During this period of apparent inactivity, do the little TV monitors by the clock, bottom right, show any activity?

CDL 21:42 26 Dec 04

I'll check on that VoG next time I dial up and post again.

Irishman 21:44 26 Dec 04

Have you installed ISP software from a disc. If so try jotting down all the details,name,password no to dial etc,then uninstall the software and set up the connection manually.

Peter 22:46 26 Dec 04

Have a look in your Dial-Up Network properties (right click on the Dial-Up Network icon and select Properties) and select the Server Types tab. On mine I only have "Enable Software Compression" and "TCP/IP" ticked. If you have "Log on to Network" ticked, try unticking it. It took about a minute to log on properly for me when "Log on to Network" was ticked.

woodchip 23:03 26 Dec 04

Don't think that applies in XP, it does in Win98 and will stop the Dial-Up connection by one min on my computer if they are in the Connection properties

Peter 00:11 27 Dec 04

I've come across this in Windows 95 & 98 (see my previous entry on this post), but I have not had much experience of XP so I don't know if this affects it. Worth a look to see though.

woodchip 14:16 27 Dec 04

It may be your AV doing a check for updates before it will release the Browser

Irishman 14:28 27 Dec 04

Or a full system test in the background?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…