Delay when receiving emails

YinHoNg 10:56 16 May 05

Hiya. I think i'm experiencing problems receiving emails. I've tried sending a test email at 11:57PM yesterday but i didnt recieve it until this morning!!!!

I've asked various people to email me but its still the same - delay of about 12 hours i reckon. Maybe more, maybe less.

I'm using thunderbird in conjunction with my webmail account. When i check my webmail account online(i.e. on a webpage) all of my previous messages are gone! I discovered this scenario: I get e.g. 2 new emails. These appear online(on my webmail webpage), but as soon as i download them onto thunderbird, they don't appear online anymore.

Like everyone else, recieving my emails asap is very important to me.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.

Belatucadrus 11:41 16 May 05

I don't think there's much you can do about the delay, other than report it to your ISP and see what they say.
As to all your previous messages vanishing from the server, that's because Thunderbird like most POP3 mail clients has downloaded them all click here you need to look in your account settings and see if you can get it to leave mail copy on server.

Graham ® 12:47 16 May 05

As Belatucadrus, report to your ISP. Mails to yourself should be almost instantaneous.

I receive mails from a BT/Yahoo customer, they always take 12 hours to come to my PlusNet box. Nothing I can do as the delay is with BT server.

YinHoNg 13:18 16 May 05

I understand. I have just emailed them - hopefully they'll sort it out. Is there any way to configure it so that emails will be sent directly to your email client instead of to my webmail first?(if this is possible)

Belatucadrus 14:49 16 May 05

E-mail software just reads what's on the ISP web mail server, if it hasn't arrived not much it can do. Unfortunately it's as direct as it can be. Wait to see what the ISP says, if they're less than helpful look for another webmail service.

YinHoNg 17:37 16 May 05

Actually, its not my ISP mail account that i'm worreid about. Its my university one that uses webmail.

Belatucadrus 19:21 16 May 05

In that case it's probably not a bad idea to use Thunderbird to store the mail as most university/college mail servers will be wiped at the end of term.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…