DEL PC WILL START UP OK =THEN CLOSEDOWN

SANAP 09:01 26 Oct 07

My second PC a DELL DXPO51 circa 2005, has just developed a fault in that it will start OK but then after a few mins shut down with a blue screen saying " to protect computer etc" I have xp pro. I booted a few times and got a report twice from MS , 1st one said fault is a hardwrae component, then mentioned RAM, system board, CPU, and power supply. The 2nd one said ram only. I then got a diagnostic tool to check RAM put it on floppy BUT although PC has a floppy drive it is no longer recognised. Is there an easier way to check ram, modules are 512mb, 2 of, and I have 2 512mb in this pc. I am sure I added floppy drive myself and it worked but when I go to setings I cant see it or enable it.

Help

sanap

ventanas 09:20 26 Oct 07

Without the full details of the message we don't have much chance. I assume it begins with the word STOP.

Can you please post any code that follow that. It will probably be in the form of:

XXXX_XXXX_XXXX_

Further down on the right there may be a file name followed by code in the form of 0x000000000 where the 0's can be anything. Please also post this info.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:51 26 Oct 07

after a few mins shut down

Usually

1. heat check all fans are running
2. bad memory run memtest
(check BIOS has FDC enabled and floppy cable is fully pushed in on drive and motherboard a loose cable could also cause restart problem)
3. Virus or spyware run anti V and antispy ware.

Sparkly 11:44 26 Oct 07

Hi have you took a look at the rear of the pc to see if you have any diognostic lights, i have the 8300 (2004) they should give some indication for you hopefully.

click here

SANAP 14:12 26 Oct 07

thanks all for hints, I have to go back out now on a few calls will check all the things mentioned above when I get back in and report back.

sanap

SANAP 21:51 26 Oct 07

OK, back hom now, switched on got in ok and an error report was sent, saying your computer has recovered from a serious error. Log on lasted for 8 minutes then got blue screen again, here is the message in full.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this top error screen, restart yoour computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to mkae sure any new hardware or software is peoperly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information

***STOP: 0X000000050 (OX8008EB60,0X00000000,0X805798C8, 0X0000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
physical dump complete
Contact you system administrator or technical support for further assistance. "

No lights at back. Fan runs when I switch on, did 2 restores, no new software added recently. All I did was play a bit of half life 2 both online and offline. Game locked up near end and that was when I got problem!! I was not playing online when it locked up. PC is back on now. I use macafee virus protection, it runs automatically. Latest from MS says this was caused by an error in your computers RAM, run MS diagnostic tool but I have no floppy drive or it is no longer recognised! PC wont stay on long enough to run it anyway!!

help

sanap

lotvic 22:50 26 Oct 07

Try pressing F12 for the built in Dell Diagnostics to test the hardware
Turn on (or restart) your computer
When the Dell logo appears, press F12 immediately
when the boot device list appears, highlight Boot to Utility Partition and press Enter
When the Dell diagnostics Main menu appears, select the test you want to run

DXPO51
Is that the Dell™ XPS™ 400 Desktop?

If so then the Diagnostic lights are at the front

Owners manual pdf click here
Service Manual click here

SANAP 18:19 27 Oct 07

Its dell dimension 9150 desktop. I am nack up and running, I did type out what I did but pressed the clear buttin in error. Suffice to say I got referred to a DELL drivr reset tool, ran that, it fixed some driver and rebooted and ok since 4.30pm. I will run a full check in a few mins.

thanks for all the help. I will now do a backup of stuff I thought I had lost!!

sanap

SANAP 13:12 01 Nov 07

I did ram test an dgot loads of failures so I have orderd new ram and more of it. How can I check the floppy drive?? just dead at the moment and is there a check I can do on motherboard? I ahve moved house now so may get a bit more time.

sanap

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:34 01 Nov 07

Does My computer show a 3 1/2 Floppy (A:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…